Site map

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Samara Morgan and Friends



For this project I was inspired by Cubism-the art period that arranges artworks into little cubes. I was also inspired by my favorite Japanese horror movie characters-Sadako and Kayako Saeki. I know it has been a few weeks since Halloween but I had this subject in my head for a while since the announcement of the project.

I started with this empty canvas in Photoshop and pre-organized the layers in folders.
Diagram of my canvas
I used reference photos of the characters to help me make a rough ountline of the the chacters before selecting the body parts that will create the characters. This was the difficult part of the project. I never thought of creating a art piece with just body parts. Her is a screenshot of the layer containing the body parts.
Diagram of the body parts layer
At first, I used the erase tool to erase everything but the body parts. I discovered that this does not give me enough control. For the rest of the body parts I use masking and the pen tool to extract the rest of the body parts needed. After extracting the body parts, I outline Kayako Saki from Ju-on the grudge. Here is the final form of Kayako Saki.
Finish product of Kayako Saki
Along the way, I ecconted a problem with Photoshop that I never had before. The program did not allow me to save my work. This was the error dialog box:
Error dialog box
My professor gave me some pointers which really helped. I saved the file as a .PSB file instead of the PSD file format. The PSB file format allows the user to save big files. After the problem was fixed I started working on Sadako/Samara Morgan from the Ring. I made a outline of a TV set and a outline of Samara. She crawls out of the tv with her hands grasping her victim.


The parts of the picture

Kayako Saeki:

  • My hair
  • legs
  • arms
  • My pony tail from a few years ago
  • My face
  • My eyes
  • My mouth


Sadako's TV:

  • I used my eyes as the anatanas of the TV set. I duplicated those eye parts until they made a circle
  • My fingers serve as the boarder of the TV and the wire part of the TV's atennas.
  • Sadako is composed of:
  • My eye
  • My hair
  • legs
  • arms



  • The eye is centered in the middle of her face. In the movie, her face is covered with her hair. only one of her eyes is seen.

The background is made out of my ponytail. I lined up three copies in a line and then with the shift key I selected them all at once to copy them. during this process, I realized that my layer panel was getting messy. To fix this I made a folder just for the background. Since it is the background I moved the folder to the bottom so it won't show up on any of the characters.

The final project is 2590pxX13885px or 16x26inches


No comments:

Post a Comment

Are Our Pets Being Treated Fairly in the Justice System

Final Project       For the final project I wanted to analyze the relationship between four-legged death roll inmates and two-legge...

Harry Potter - Delivery Owl